Sanford celebrated 50 years of history - and the future of public policy - during 2021-2022.
Explore highlights in this online year in review.
Research & Expertise | Professional Programs | Undergraduate Experience | Engagement
Launched in 1971 as the Institute of Policy Sciences and Public Affairs by Terry Sanford, Sanford is one of the oldest and largest public policy programs in the nation. Last academic year, Sanford celebrated 50 years of public policy education and scholarship at Duke University.
This report covers the past academic year during the 50th anniversary, highlighting year 3 of Sanford's strategic priorities and looking to the future of public policy.
Sanford students, faculty and alumni are committed to making this world a better place. This report shows you many reasons how we are delivering on our mission: to improve lives and communities by researching the most pressing public policy issues and preparing students for lives of leadership, civic engagement and public service.
This year, Sanford reimagined events in a hybrid format. Sanford organized 12 major events (celebrations, lectures and conferences) during this academic year in partnership with faculty, centers, programs and organizations:
More 50th Features
- Read the Dean’s special 50th message
- Fundraising – read stories
- History – Read the history of public policy at Duke
- Duke magazine – Sanford was featured in the August 2021 issue, the Fall 2021 issue and the most recent issue
View almost 50 videos from our 50th on Sanford's YouTube channel.
- Student feature: Cameron Oglesby MPP'23
- Paul Farmer Remembered
- Student Feature: Ysanne Spense
- Ysanne Spense on curriculum flexibility of the public policy major
- Ysanne Spense discusses why do an honors thesis
- The Francis Lethem Fellowship
- Holiday Wishes
- What are we thankful for?
- Hidden Sanford (social series): Joel Fleishman
- Hidden Sanford (social series) Tower Climb
- A Long Awaited Celebration: 2020 graduation