There are no prerequisites in order to declare the Public Policy Studies major. However, there is a flow to the major requirements and advance planning is important.
All public policy core and elective courses must be taken for credit and cannot be taken as Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory. (Formerly Pass/Fail)
5 CORE COURSES:
- PUBPOL 155D (previously 55D): Introduction to Policy Analysis -- This course is a prerequisite for all of the the core courses except STATS 101 and is the gateway course for the major.
- PUBPOL 301 (114): Political Analysis for Public Policy
- PUBPOL 302 (116): Policy Choice as Value Conflict or PUBPOL 330/GLHLTH 210 Global Health Ethics
- PUBPOL 303 (128): Microeconomic Policy Tools or ECON 201D (55): Intermediate Microeconomics I
- STATS 101 Data Analysis and Statistical Inference -- STATS 101-1, 102, 104, 111 or 130 may substitute for STATS 101.
2 REQUIRED COURSES:
- PUBPOL 304 (132): Economics of the Public Sector -- Note: students who have taken Econ 201D cannot take PUBPOL 303 (128).
- History Elective – Choose an elective from this list. -- Note: the history elective must be taken on campus at Duke; it cannot be a transfer or study abroad course.
- 4 PUBPOL Electives at the 160-699 level (one of which MUST be a 401-699 level course)
- Internship and PUBPOL 120: The internship and the non-credit, pass/fail internship course.
- PUBPOL 155D (55D)
- PUBPOL 301 (114)
- PUBPOL 302 (116)
- PUBPOL 303 (128) or Econ 201
- PUBPOL Stats 101
- PUBPOL 304 (132): Economics of the Public Sector -- may be taken before or after the internship.