These students provide input to the school’s leadership team.
SANFORD MPP STUDENT COUNCIL
The Sanford Student Representative Council brings concerns, questions and recommendations regarding the MPP program to the administration. The Council facilitates student involvement in Sanford School planning in partnership with the Director of Graduate Studies and MPP Director of Student Services.
- President | Marc Losito
- Council Liaison | Jessye Halvorson
- Honor Board Representative | Sam Sloate
- Treasurer | Liam Miranda
- 2nd-Year Representative | Isabel Shapiro
- 2nd-Year Representative | Kelly Jasiura
- 1st-Year Representative | Andrés Hernández Jr.
- 1st-Year Representative | Antonio Butler
- GPSC Representative | Abby Sherman
- GPSC Representative | Sarah Colbourn
- Dual Degree Representative | Lauren Hubbard
MPP ACADEMIC COMMITTEE
The MPP Academic Committee serves as a forum for student concerns regarding topics such as requirements for academic concentrations, course offerings and electives, core curriculum needs, Master’s Projects and faculty and student interaction and advising.
THE PUBLIC POLICY STUDIES MAJORS UNION (PPSMU)
The Majors Union is the official organization representing undergraduates at the Sanford School. Led by students, the Majors Union engages students in the life of the Sanford School and provides opportunities to learn and network outside of the classroom.
- President | Alexandra Hanzlick
- Co-Vice President of Social and Community Planning | Alberto Najarro
- Co-Vice President of Social and Community Planning | Elyse Demas
- Vice President of Career Affairs | Aidan Floyd
- Vice President of Communications: |Tri Truong
PHD EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
The PhD Executive Committee is the organizing body for PhD students.
BOARD OF VISITORS
Young alumni serve as ad hoc members of the school’s advisory Board of Visitors, providing recent-student perspectives during the board’s biannual meetings.
- PhD | Ajenai Clemmons PhD ‘21
- MPP | Hanna Heycke Gill MPP ‘20
- MIDP | Francisco Jeria MIDP ‘20
- Undergraduate | Alec Lintz PPS ‘19
A Quiet Leader
Adam Beyer received the Terry Sanford Leadership Award in 2018. As president of the Duke Democrats, Adam focused on securing an early voting site on campus. He also registered hundreds of students to vote. The award is named for the founder of the Sanford School, Terry Sanford, who was known for ethical leadership.