Header Image for Basic Page

You are here

How to calculate your UGPA

You are required to provide an undergraduate grade point average (UGPA) in the Academic History section of your application.

How to Calculate Your UGPA

We require the calculation of your UGPA if you have:

  • Attended a college or university outside of the United States for all or part of your undergraduate degree program (do not include study abroad)
  • Transferred 12 or more credits from another institution toward your bachelors degree
  • Failed a course and it appears on your transcript but is not included in your school’s calculation of GPA.

There are two options for calculating your UGPA:

  1. Utilize the GPA Calculator from Foreign Credits to create a line-by-line assessment of your UGPA. If you use the GPA Calculator from Foreign Credits, please copy and paste the full converted results (class, credits/hours, grade, US grade, and GPA) into a word processing or spreadsheet program to create a PDF document for upload.
  2. Purchase a credential evaluation from one of the following vendors and upload the official evaluation results: ECE, Foreign Credits, or WES.

If you graduated or will graduate from a US college or university, you should report the cumulative GPA and GPA grade scale that is stated on the degree-conferring transcript.

Below are some important points to remember when calculating your UGPA.

  • It is not necessary to pay for a credential evaluation if you are using the Foreign Credits GPA Calculator. Therefore, we suggest this method. You will need to cut and paste the converted results into a word processing or spreadsheet program to create a PDF document for upload. Otherwise, the results will be cut off. This may result in a significantly longer processing time.
  • The UGPA should include all undergraduate course work completed at the time of submission of the application.
  • If you attended more than one school, you must include the grades from all undergraduate schools in calculating your UGPA.
  • Do not include courses that were dropped or courses that did not award letter grades (e.g. satisfactory/unsatisfactory, pass/fail, credit only).
  • If you repeated a course or did not pass it (e.g. received an F or E grade), you must include both grades in your UGPA calculation.
  • Do not include graduate-level courses that you have completed unless they counted toward your undergraduate degree requirements. There is a separate place on the application for you to provide your graduate grade point average.
  • If you do not find a grade scale that exactly matches your undergraduate institution’s scale, please use the scale that matches it most closely (e.g., applicants who have attended an Indian university that use a 70-100 point scale may use the United Kingdom scale).
  • You do not need to include study abroad classes.