There are no prerequisites in order to declare the Public Policy Studies major. However, there is a flow to the major requirements and advance planning is important.
No Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) courses may be counted towards the major requirements.
5 Core Courses
- PUBPOL 155D: Introduction to Policy Analysis -- This course is a prerequisite for all of the the core courses except STATS 199 and PUBPOL 303. This is the gateway course for the major.
- PUBPOL 301: Political Analysis for Public Policy
- PUBPOL 302: Policy Choice as Value Conflict or PUBPOL 330/GLHLTH 210 Global Health Ethics
- PUBPOL 303: Microeconomic Policy Tools or ECON 201D: Intermediate Microeconomics I
- STATS 199L Introduction to Data Science and Statistical Thinking -- ECON 104 may substitute for STATS 199L.
2 Required Courses
- PUBPOL 304: Economics of the Public Sector -- Note: students who have taken Econ 201D cannot take PUBPOL 303.
- History Elective – Choose an elective from this list. -- Note: the history elective must be taken on campus at Duke; it cannot be a transfer or study abroad course.
- 4 PUBPOL Electives at the 160-699 level (one of which MUST be a 401-699 level course)
Internship & Course
- Internship and PUBPOL 120: The internship and the non-credit, pass/fail internship course.