Graduate and Undergraduate Summer Interns
Every office has a program that needs a critical evaluation, a new initiative that needs a jumpstart or a project that needs to be revitalized. You can get these tasks done while providing a valuable experience to a Duke Master of Public Policy student or an undergraduate majoring in public policy. Our students are well prepared and eager to contribute to the success of your organization.In addition, a Duke intern could become a permanent hire or return to campus to recruit for the next summer intern.
Each year, we have 65-75 MPP students and more than 175 undergraduate students seeking internships, which are required for their degrees. Our Program on Global Policy and Governance in Geneva, Switzerland, also places graduate students in global policy internships with NGOs and other organizations each summer.
To get the best match for your organization, send us a job description in early January, including duties, logistics, qualifications, deadline for applying, and compensation. Sanford has a limited number of stipends available for unpaid and low-paid internship in organizations that cannot afford to pay.
- U.S. Office of Management and Budget
- Deloitte Consulting Federal Practice
- N.C. Sustainable Energy Association
- Education Pioneers
- World Trade Organization
- World Wildlife Fund
- Aetna Government Relations
- UN Food and Agriculture Organization
Professional Guidance to Design Your Policy Internship
The Sanford School has full-time staff to help you design your internship to get the best matches from among our students. We are available throughout the summer in case issues or problems arise.
Contact Donna Dyer, Assistant Dean for Career and Professional Development, to discuss an internship for a master's degree student.
Contact Elise Goldwasser, Undergraduate Career Advisor and Senior Internship Director, to discuss an internship for a undergraduate.
“I have been privileged to work with Sanford students on a variety of projects. They consistently bring strong analysis and fresh insights to policy issues. Both the spring consulting groups and summer interns have helped expand our capacity and helped inform our discussion of solutions.”—Elizabeth Hudgins, MPP, Executive Director, N.C. Child Fatality Task Force
Global Policy Interns in Geneva, Switzerland
The Duke Program on Global Policy and Governance works closely with Geneva-based organizations to place up to 50 highly qualified students from masters's, MD, and PhD. programs in summer internships. The highly selective program is open to U.S. and international graduate students.
- A strong pool of candidates who are highly motivated to work in global policy and to benefit from working and learning in Geneva.
- Mentoring and professional development support from the program, ensuring intern accountability while in Geneva.
- Logistics support for interns with regard to housing, visa applications, and orientation to Geneva and the NGO landscape. Intern sponsors do not have to take time with these matters.
- The added value of having your intern be a part of an intentional learning community invested in embracing all the "teachable moments."
Internship sponsors are required to:
- Provide a project that is both beneficial to the organization and to the student's professional development.
- Provide a supervisor who will serve as a mentor during the summer and show enthusiasm for sharing his or her profession.
- Complete an evaluation and encourage the intern to discuss the evaluation before departure.
To discuss an internship opportunity please contact the Geneva Program office via email or telephone: +1 (919) 613-9289.
"Working with the Geneva Program has been an extremely enriching experience for us--not only this year, but also in the past. We were very satisfied with the intern's personal and professional performance and greatly enjoyed his presence. On behalf of my team at GAVI, I would like to thank the program organizers for the excellent preparations and guidance throughout the entire process."—Eliane Furrer, GAVI Alliance