Public Policy Professor Billy Pizer will chair a committee to search for the new dean of the Sanford School of Public Policy to replace Kelly Brownell, President Vincent E. Price and Provost Sally Kornbluth announced this week.
Brownell, who has served as dean since 2013, will leave office June 30, 2018. He will remain on the Duke faculty and serve as director of the new World Food Policy Center, which will operate out of the Sanford School.
The president and provost charged the committee to conduct a national search looking both internally and externally to identify a diverse pool of candidates. The committee should seek an intellectual leader who will seek “the highest aspirations in faculty hiring and retention” and will be both a consensus builder as well as a decision maker.
Other qualities include:
- an effective fund-raiser,
- an innovative, energetic, and conscientious administrator broadly familiar with issues in higher education,
- a strong advocate for the Sanford School and its core teaching, research, and engagement mission in the context of the University’s strategic commitment to internationalization, interdisciplinarity, and knowledge in the service of society,
- a strong proponent for a diverse faculty and student body,
- a collaborator with fellow Deans, the President and Provost in promoting University priorities,
- a preeminent University citizen
In addition to Pizer, the other committee members are:
Aaron Chatterji, Fuqua School of Business; Matthew Cullinan, Chair, Sanford School Board of Visitors; Bruce Jentleson, Sanford School of Public Policy; Corinne Krupp, Sanford School of Public Policy; Philip Napoli, Sanford School of Public Policy; Subhrendu Pattanayak, Sanford School of Public Policy; Deondra Rose, Sanford School of Public Policy; Georg Vanberg, Department of Political Science; and Kathryn Whetten, Sanford School of Public Policy.
The goal is for the committee to present recommendations to the president and provost by Dec. 31.
The committee, which will be assisted by Spencer Stuart, a national executive search firm, is soliciting opinions, nominations and applications from members of the Duke community. Applications and nominations for the Sanford Dean search, as well as requests pertaining to the search process, should be sent to the confidential mailbox: SanfordDean@spencerstuart.com. Applications should include a current CV; nominations should include contact information for the candidate (if known).